Sunday 23 June 2013

Nursery Rhyme Craft: Birdy Finger Puppets


Friday Harmonie, my 3 year old, was working in her Nursery Land workbook by Schofield and Sims and she got to the nursery rhyme, Two Little Dicky Birds.  She loved the song and I remember making finger puppets for Honi when I did it with her a few years back.  So I ran upstairs and raided my needlework cupboard for some materials and rummaged about the craft draws and came up with this idea.
 
Harmonie loved it so much.  This is how we made it...

You will need:

  • Material like cotton, felt or something similar (we used brown faux suede)
  • A different colour material for the beak (we used yellow felt)
  • Scissors
  • PVA glue
  • Googly eyes
  • Feathers
  • Pipe cleaners
 
I found some brown material but it can be any colour, this was faux leather but I could have used cotton or even felt instead.  Then I cut into this shape.  I made two to go with the song.  I also cut out two yellow triangles, again you can chose your own colour.
 
 
Then I put PVA glue on like this (be careful not to stick the glue to the flat edge which will be where you will put your finger in when it's dry) 

 
I let Harmonie close them so they folded in half to look like this...
 
 
Then I dotted three bits of glue of for her and then let her add the beaks and googly eyes.
 
 

 
They looked a little bare so we scratched our heads and found some feathers and some orange pipe cleaners and...

 
With a bit of glue dotted in the right place (still careful not to seal the bottom together) we added feathers for wings and 2cm short pieces of pipe cleaners for legs then everyone was happy Peter and Paul were finished so we left them to dry.


 


Then we played and sang the song over and over again...

 
If you want to do this with an older child you might like to sew instead of gluing, still gluing down the feathers, pipe cleaners, eyes and bead though.

2 comments:

  1. Neat :-) O asked to make a cat with pipe cleaner whiskers yesterday.... I might adapt your idea. 3 little kittens!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fab! I look forward to seeing how it turns out :) x

      Delete